[QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Jan 18 01:39:45 PST 2018

Hi all,

Il 18/01/2018 00:07, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
> On 18 January 2018 at 08:06, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:
>
>> So I would suggest raising a vote on the motion:
>>
>> “We should adopt GitHub issues for reporting issues in 3.0 and restrict Redmine for the management of issues in QGIS 2.x”.
>>
>> After there are no more active 2.x releases, we make the Redmine tracker read only and keep it around as an archive. We could put into the GitHub issue template: “Only use this tracker for 3.x related issues” and similar message on Redmine indicating that it should only be used for 2.x issues. It will unfortunately leave us in the position where you need to check to issue trackers for your issue which is going to suck a bit.
>
> I'm a bit unclear where 2.18 fits in - would Redmine be open for new
> 2.18 bugs? Or would they be reported on github?

to clarify:
* I'm not neutral: I'm in favour of any system user find useful,
*provided* we don't miss the history; this is a blocker for me
* I would prefer a 100% free solution, and to to get stuck with a
proprietary one; this is not a blocker for me, but I wuold advise having
a reasonably way out, to avoid being locked in; this is a strategic, not
an ethical reason
* I'm not 100% sure "normal" people will find GH much easier than
redmine. we obviously have a bieased, non representative opinion on
this; perhaps better asking among regular user; I'm doing this in
qgis-it, I suggest to do the same for other QUGs
* I find interesting the idea of leaving Redmine for the 2 series, and
starting afresh with GH for 3; however, I'm really worried that this
will cause a lot of entropy, with users being confused on what to do,
duplicated tickets in both systems, etc.; e.g. an old ticket, from 2, is
fixed in 3, but not 2: should we leave it open in Redmine? I can see a
number of such puzzling cases.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu