[QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Fri Jan 19 03:50:13 PST 2018

> Who actually are the target of this desire of move: developers (who are
> missing ability to do some magics in the backend) or issue reporters (who
> would find Redmine difficult and Github better/easier)?

I'd count the bug reporters *and* the bug queue maintainers - so in fact
Giovanni, who does enormous work keeping an eye and clearing the bug queue
constantly... and nobody asked him for his opinion :p

My preference for Github is mainly for three reasons:
 - Redmine doesn't look inviting and may scary potential reporters
 - Many power users I know (and all devs of course, but it's not a point)
already have a github account and are familiar with filling issues.
 - Would be nice to have the bug tracker integrated with the code repository,
and in general: more consistent enviroment.

> I even wonder if it's
> possible in github (fail to find such a repo) for the reporter to label/tag
> the issue he is reporting or will we deploy a team to do things the
> reporter currently does himself in Redmine (set category, release...).

Good point. I was just about to write that before making any voting, we should
test it and present an example how it's going to work (creating issues,
assigning category tags, filtering...). Your example shows it's necessary.

Another thing: I believe the migration effort must be paid - no one will find
this work sexy enough to do it in her/his spare time.

> Better do the move once than twice (do not
> forget that we would surely lose contributors in the move).

This is something I realized during this discussion. If we'll move to Gitlab
in reasonable future, than we'll have two migrations in a row, what obviously
not our goal. So maybe... (I'm really sorry to raise this question right now)
shouldn't we decide it prior to further discussion about Github? Like that:

Do we move to another repo with QGIS 4 release (or earlier)?

 +--	Yes: stay with Redmine for now, but be prepared for the migrations.
 +--	No: continue the Github migration discussion.

Regards,

Borys