[QGIS-Developer] Does QGIS 3.0 have a search capability across all layers and all fields

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Jan 19 10:11:11 PST 2018

On 19-01-18 18:24, C Hamilton wrote:
> When I created my "Search Layers" plugin that does a textual search
> across all vector layers and all fields, I was led to believe that this
> capability would be in QGIS 3.0 and so "Search Layers" was only
> important for 2.x. The only problem is that I cannot seem to find this
> type of capability. 3.0 certainly has powerful selection capabilities on
> a single layer, but I can't find a function that works across all vector
> layers.
>
> Is the capability there and I am just missing it? If so then it should
> be easier to find and if not then I will convert "Search Layers" for
> QGIS 3.0.

Hi C,

Is the 'locate'-field in the lower left corner not almost what you need?
The so called Locator interface.

It is at least possible to go through all fields/values for current
layer, using 'f'.
So loaded a world layer, you can search for The Netherlands by start to
type: "f net"

This interface is also relative easy to implement, see my experimental
setup for a Geocoder for Nomatim/OSM and a national Geocoder:
https://github.com/rduivenvoorde/pdoklocatorplugin

So I think(!) that it would be easy to go all layers to search?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde