[QGIS-Developer] Keeping OTB algorithm in qgis processing

Rashad Kanavath mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 02:43:39 PST 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:

> Il 31/01/2018 10:26, Alexander Bruy ha scritto:
> > It is included, but this version is really outdated isn't it?
>
> we can seek additional resources to maintain it. Perhaps OTB team is
> interested in maintaining it up to date?

the old plugin code had lot of issue like maintain list of supported
version, keeping a backlist and whilelist for supported applications (don't
ask),
splitting of apps because groups aren't supported to name a few.
And I think this one of the blocking point for qgis and also otb. It need
to put a lot of efforts to maintain otb provider and cost is triple
compared to others
 If the plugin code was simply generic, qgis would have done maintain it
like old way. Because you only need to change plugin if there is are API
changes,
or some stuff that is made into processing itself. This one will be easy
because all source is in tree you can find places where it needs to change
like:

-from processing.core.AlgorithmProvider import AlgorithmProvider
+from qgis.core import QgsProcessingProvider

And this are back normal.

What I can propose is to lower the burden on maintenance but the code
should be put back to qgis if possible.
So qgis can focus on issue related only to that and after a while things
will stabilize.

Indeed, if there is something broken in this algo otb team will help fix it.

All the best.

> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=IT&q=qgis,arcgis