[QGIS-Developer] Question about Mac Installer

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Jan 31 10:25:28 PST 2018

Hi Alex,

On Wed, 31. Jan 2018 at 08:55:32 -0800, Alex M wrote:
> Question 1.
> The QGIS.org download page
> https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html says:
> "This version requires separate installation of dependency framework
> (GDAL Complete) , also found at the download link below."

Looks like outdated information.

> Kyngchaos says http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/qgis
> "All required items are included on the disk image."

> Which is it? I don't actually have a Mac to test, trying to download
> files to take to others who need it.

I'd follow the advice next to the download.

> Question 2.
> Kyngchaos page states
> "Install Note: OS X security may block installation, as I'm not an
> "identified developer" (ie not paying Apple to develop software)."
>
> Didn't OSGeo buy an Apple Signing cert just for issues like this?

We don't have own packages for OSX yet.  IIRC the cert was initiated by Larry
Shaffer and there was a grant to update the installer scripts and produce a
signed installer[0] - but AFAIK that didn't happen yet.

We only signed the OSGeo4W installer and the Windows standalones so far.

Jürgen

[0] http://blog.qgis.org/2017/04/30/qgis-grant-programme-2-results/

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode