[QGIS-Developer] "Early Adopter" release

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Jul 7 00:26:16 PDT 2018

Hi again, Patrick,

Some other thoughts:

I recently visited the SWISS PGDAY (organized by Swiss PostgreSQL user
group). The very interesting keynote was by Bruce Momjian - a long time
core contributor of PostgreSQL.

The title of the keynote was "Will PostgreSQL live forever?"

Some answers to this hard to answer question are:

- Forever, is a long time ;-)

- It is up to the users and developers to decide whether PostgreSQL
stays relevant or will be made irrelevant by other

- there is no management that decides it. It is the users who decide it.

- the good news is: as Open Source organizations we are not at the mercy
of financial investors or have to react to quarterly statements. This
makes us, much much more likely to live longer than commercial alternatives.

- commercial companies: if the owners/investors got enough money out of
the product they may loose interest or decide that a new feature a
customer demands costs only money and not bring enough profit. So, it is
the owners and the management of the product who decide what gets into
the product, whereas with OpenSource the users and developers have more
power over such decisions.

- the other good news is: neither PostgreSQL nor QGIS can be bought by
another company (only the companies of the core contributors can be
bought). Luckily, in neither project a single company has too much power
over development of the projects. If one company ceases or is bought and
shut-down, there are plenty of other devs and companies who can take
over - if the users want that.

- in worst case scenarios, projects can still be forked

Greetings,

Andreas