[QGIS-Developer] Re-implementing delimited text provider help

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 01:01:49 PDT 2018

Hi Chris,

> Hi all
>
> I am looking for guidance on documentation.
>
> Can you elaborate on the kind of guidance you need, please?
Basically, docs sources are in https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation
repository and clicking the "Fix Me" link at the bottom of any online doc
page should bring you to the page source.
we have also set some guidelines at
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/index.html
if you want more details but the docs team remains available if you need
some particular help.

The help for the delimited text provider has largely got lost between
> versions 2 and 3.  In version 3 is defined in
>
> QgsHelp::openHelp( QStringLiteral( "managing_data_source/opening_
> data.html#importing-a-delimited-text-file" ) );
>
> This links to the QGIS documentation now (after I fixed the url) but that
> is very brief.
>
> Unfortunately it would not be the single broken link but this is a long
standing issue I stopped to chase and raise.

In version 2 this served as reference documentation for the provider,
> including documentation on the url for constructing programmatically as
> well as the GUI information.  While this is too much information for many
> users I would like it to go somewhere
> This could certainly be broken up into a number of cross referenced items.
>
> So I am wondering where this should go now!  And what I need to do to get
> it there.
>
> I gave a quick look to the 2.18 context help and indeed looks like there's
a lot of valuable information we can move to the online docs. From what I
see I think changes could go to:
-
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/managing_data_source/opening_data.html#importing-a-delimited-text-file
-
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/managing_data_source/supported_data.html#delimited-text-files
- and somewhere in the PyQGIS cookbook but I don't know the logic of
structuring this document and it does not really get updates for 3, yet.
Maybe somewhere around
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/loadlayer.html
?

Hope that helps, otherwise feel free to ask.
And thanks for offering your help.

Regards,
Harrissou