[QGIS-Developer] Scale z value to match 3d view dem scaling?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 02:37:05 PDT 2018

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 at 19:28, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nyall
>
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 5:19 AM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is possible that there are some inconsistencies with the vertical
> scale terrain and how it applies (or does not apply to other
> entities). One thing that comes up every now and then is whether all
> vertical distance values should be affected by the vertical scale - or
> just some - or maybe to have that configurable. For example, as you
> say, for PointZ data, it probably makes more sense to apply vertical
> scale to Z coordinates. How about other properties like polygon
> elevation or extrusion - should those be affected as well? Any
> thoughts on how this should work are welcome :-)

I'd say vertical scale should be universal and apply to all z coordinates.

To me the scale is a viewport dependent setting, which is highly
dependent on the map extent and angle to get a "good" scale. So I
think it should be that tweaking just that single setting should
universally change the vertical exaggeration, with no extra data work
required.

Nyall