[QGIS-Developer] Scale z value to match 3d view dem scaling?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 02:54:03 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd say vertical scale should be universal and apply to all z coordinates.
>
> To me the scale is a viewport dependent setting, which is highly
> dependent on the map extent and angle to get a "good" scale. So I
> think it should be that tweaking just that single setting should
> universally change the vertical exaggeration, with no extra data work
> required.

Yeah that would be the simple solution, at the same time, if someone
chooses 2x vertical terrain scale, this would also mean that:
- 3D buildings appear with double height, looking unnatural
- points rendered as spheres (or other models) would get weird shape
- lines rendered as 3D pipes (not supported currently) would get
ellipsoidal if they are not vertical

My initial thoughts were that the vertical scale is merely a feature
to exaggerate terrain features if the terrain is relatively flat,
keeping other data in the scale intact...

Cheers
Martin