[QGIS-Developer] QGIS and conda/python env...direction for PDAL lib

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 03:13:16 PDT 2018

On 3 June 2018 at 19:58, Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> in the PDAL ml, there is a discussion about if to remove pdal packaging from
> osgeo4w. This can affect QGIS especially regarding future 3d rendering
> capabilities on point cloud data (and especially analisys)
> This is a discussion regarding integration using OSGeo4W env instead of a
> "defacto" standard as the conda packaging system.
> Any technical opinion would be welcome in the PDAL list.
>
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/pdal-Conda-for-official-Mac-Windows-PDAL-packages-tp5366306p5366390.html

My first thoughts (as someone not acquainted with conda): this seems
interesting, maybe it will avoid some of the shortcomings of osgeo4w.

And then I checked and they are stuck on Qt 5.6 (recognised by some
QGIS developers to be the WORST release in recent Qt history). And
then I come across this thread:
https://github.com/conda-forge/qt-feedstock/issues/53.

Conclusion: it's like someone took the worst parts of homebrew and
magnified them! There's no way this is a viable alternative for us to
rely on.

Nyall
(sorry to be so negative about this!)