[QGIS-Developer] Rectangles-Ovals-Digitizing plugin deprecated

Thomas Baumann rdbath.regiodata at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 04:16:59 PDT 2018

Hello,

the Rectangles-Ovals-Digitizing plugin (
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/rectovalDigit ) has an issue that causes
QGIS to slow down and get unstable:
https://github.com/vinayan/RectOvalDigitPlugin/issues/6

I sent a pullrequest with a fix for the problem (
https://github.com/vinayan/RectOvalDigitPlugin/pull/7  ) but the plugin
does not seem to be maintained any more.

In 2013 there was already a discussion that the plugin does not seem to be
maintained any more:

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Fwd-Re-WG-quot-Rectangles-ovals-digitizing-quot-plugin-is-broken-in-QGIS-1-9-td5028866.html

I asked the author if the plugin is still maintained by him:

----

Hello,

just a short question: Is the RectOvalDigitPlugin still maintained by you?

best wishes,
Thomas

---
The answer:

Pavol Kapusta
Hello, the short answer is no. Best regards
---
Thomas

Ok, thanks for the reply.
I think the Plugin should then be marked as deprecated as it has some
issues that slow down qgis.( I sent a pull request with a patch).
Are you ok with that?

---

Pavol Kapusta

Hello,

I am OK with that, of course.

Best regards

---

The plugin was obviously migrated to the github account of Vinayan
Parameswaran ( https://github.com/vinayan/RectOvalDigitPlugin ) in 2013 but
this repository also does not seem to be maintained any more.
I sent an email to Vinayan Parameswaran but did not get an answer yet.

As the plugin slows down QGIS very badly until it freezes after editing and
saving edits for some time I think that the current version in the official
plugin repository should be marked as deprecated.

best wishes,
Thomas