[QGIS-Developer] Rectangles-Ovals-Digitizing plugin deprecated

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jun 6 02:39:19 PDT 2018

On 2018-06-06 11:13, L.Bartoletti wrote:
> Not for me :)
>
> I maintain only my fork (CADDigitize), and I preferer work on cad
> integration into qgis :)
>
> No offense to my question, but why use this plugin again, since
> CADDigitize or QAD (and maybe others) do the same job (better) and
> more?
>
> Regards
>
> Loïc

Well, no offence either, but I think humans in general are conservative
and like habits and structure :-)

So Matthias' (probably valid) point is: now we deprecated the (old
Rectangles-Ovals-Digitizing plugin), people get lost because the miss
there 'old/valuable/' plugin...
Fact is also that older plugins popup earlier in google results if you
google for certain words.

So the best way to handle this is to 'market' (better working) plugins
more by maybe writing some blogposts, make people aware of your plugin
in mailing lists etc etc?

In this way natural selection/evolution should make that the
plugin-dino's finally get extinct because of Google finding the
alternatives :-)

In general I think it is ok to deprecate plugins! In this case: an
unmaintained buggy one, which has better alternatives... why keep it?
But we have to find an (for us easy) way to help people who got lost
because of a deprecation...
(while writing I see Thomas is answering: I put a pointer to better
working plugin in a fixed version. I think that is a good solution!)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde