[QGIS-Developer] 32 by 3.2?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 16:20:14 PDT 2018

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 at 23:07, DelazJ <delazj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Congratulations to all the cleaners! I can see that GitHub had for a moment reported 32 issues today and I'm pretty sure it'll go lower.

Yep - we're now floating around the 32 +/- 4 mark, depending on the
time of day. I think we can declare this campaign a success and all
have a virtual beer together!  Seriously, this is a tremendous effort
consider that we had > 150 open requests just a short while ago. It
presents us much better as a friendly, welcoming project who value new
contributions.

So where to from here? I've given it some thought, and here's my
current thinking:

- I'd love to see us get below 25 open PRs (so that they fit on a
single page on GitHub), but honestly I think it's probably not a
realistic (or even desirable) goal for a project the size of QGIS.
Maintaining a queue size of between 30-40 open requests is an
achievable target IMO. It's small enough to be able to track them all
without any being neglected.

- I think we need some target goals in regards to PR timing. My ideas are:

a. Aim to have some comment on every PR at least every 2 weeks. Either
a "gentle ping" from others requesting a progress report, or a "I'm
still working on this, here's where it currently stands" by the
original submitter.

b. Close long-standing feature PRs which aren't actively being worked
on, with the understanding that the submitter can re-open when they
recommence work on the feature. An open, stagnant PR doesn't add any
value to the project and instead causes stress to project maintainers
and detracts from timely feedback and reviews of other active PRs.
We've also seen good results recently from closing stagnant PRs -
specifically the oauth2 PR which was closed without merging quickly
saw someone step up to fund the remaining work and get this work
merged.

c. For new/infrequent contributors (e.g... not the usual crew. You
know who you are) aim to have SOME comment/feedback on new PRs within
24 hours. Specifically just a general comment like "Hey, this is great
work. There's a lot to review here so it will take some time for us to
perform a full review, but we'll do that as soon as possible" / "This
looks like a valuable bug fix, thanks! I'm not familiar with this area
of code, so will assign to @g-sherman for review" / "Thanks for this
valuable contribution. We'll review as soon as possible, but in the
meantime please have a look at the failing CI tests on Travis and ask
us if you have any questions on how to get them passing". There's
nothing more demotivating then sending through a PR to a project and
having zero feedback for lengthy time periods. If we can be diligent
about providing some fast initial comment I'm sure we'll see more new
contributors keep the motivation to contribute further to the project.

Nyall