[QGIS-Developer] Separate namespaces for QGIS-LTR and QGIS (3)

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat Mar 3 04:16:41 PST 2018

On 03-03-18 12:43, Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) wrote:
> From a user's point of view, having a tried and dependable LTR is an
> important feature.
> The new main version has finally addressed the needed upgrade of python
> (2->3) and Qt (4->5) but also abandoned the idea of QGIS as a simple
> viewer that acquires editing abilities by plugins. Plugins are not
> anymore needed for several tasks and require sometimes a major upgrade,
> because of the transition to python 3.
> As the road map shows that the LTR version will rely on version 2 for a
> fairly long time, what about letting it live in a separate namespace as
> to let the two versions coexist, keeping the needed version 2 plugins
> for the LTR?

Not sure if you would call it a 'namespace', but by using the right
values for
*qgisMinimumVersion*
and
*qgisMaximumVersion*
the plugins.qgis.org site can host both plugin versions at the same time.

Personally I host one of my plugins separate for the 2.x branch and 3.x
branch.

If you use
qgisMinimumVersion=3.0
qgisMaximumVersion=3.99
your plugin will only be visible in 3.x

qgisMinimumVersion=2.0
qgisMaximumVersion=2.99
makes it only visible in 2.x

both versions can coexist on plugins.qgis.org

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde