[QGIS-Developer] Processing Help, what next?

matteo matteo.ghetta at faunalia.eu
Mon Mar 5 00:09:54 PST 2018

Hi all,

as you know, after big efforts from lots of people (both devs and doc
writers/reviewers) QGIS Processing algorithms have been well documented
on the website and they are available with the Help button of the dialog.

https://docs.qgis.org/3.0/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/index.html

IMHO we have to set up some points to not loose this work for all the
future development, next a list of ideas/wishes/..:

* [doc side] open an issue with the label "Processing Help" when
something changes for a Processing alg, or if a new algorithm is
created/removed
* [doc side] assign this issue to someone (I'm available to handle this)
* [doc side] I'm going to add a more specific section of the
Documentation Guidelines for Processing Docs
* with many people I've spoken, the current layout of the docs is
"ugly": lot of white space through the sections, changing some colors?..
some suggestions are more than welcome
* currently, clicking on the Help button points to the correct algorithm
because I've manually added the sphinx anchor = algorithm unique name.
So it is **mandatory** to have information (or better an automatic
mechanism?!) that writes the correct anchor in sphinx if the name changes
* other ideas?

Thanks to all the people that worked on that, I think that having a
documentation bucket is really a good news for users!

Cheers and thanks for any feedback

Matteo