[QGIS-Developer] Simple QGIS KML/KMZ Import

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 09:01:23 PST 2018

The challenge with KML imports is that its free form nature makes it
difficult to conform to a table. I have large KMLs with nested folder
structures. I find that these large KMLs crash QGIS if I try to import the
entire thing and then each point gets rendered as a separate layer.

It wouldn't be hard to write a script that just pulls out all the
placemarks and writes them to a point layer, lines to a line layer, and
polygons to a polygon layer. What I would loose is the folder structure and
styling, but I could easily process large KMLs. I could consider a field in
the layers that would be a string of the nested folders that each point,
line, polygon were in.

Would this be of interest as a plugin? Is anyone doing this already? There
doesn't appear to be anything in the plugin repository.

Thanks,

Calvin