[QGIS-Developer] QEP: Projects in PostgreSQL

Syd Visser sydv at sjgeophysics.com
Tue Mar 20 05:17:08 PDT 2018

Martin

a general comment on

“All references to files will be saved as absolute paths “

why does things have to be absolute path especially if you eventually
will design for Geopackage that is suppose to simplify portability

can the Path not be divided into two separate names

1) one that is easily changed like a computer home directory which
changes depending on computer used

2) project and all of its sub-directories that should not change

this is always a huge issue with us since we work a lot in areas with
very poor or no internet connection thus projects have to be loaded on
our personal computers or external hardrives.

also when you give a session to a client you always have to go into the
project file and change the directory names.

QGIS is not the only program that has this issue and i never quite
understood why it was done this way maybe there is a explanation besides
its simpler for programers.

thanks

Syd

*Syd (Sipke) Visser, P.Geo.*