[QGIS-Developer] R provider for QGIS 3 - any interest?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Wed May 2 05:27:00 PDT 2018

I'm sure sf is the future for spatial objects. There are not too many
examples and resources to be found on the web still, but I ported one of
my (poor scripts) from sp to sf. It's now maybe 25% of code and maybe 10
times faster.
Though there are numerous packages with dependencies for sp, which will
not change for a long time.
I have to admit, I never managed to get R code work properly in QGIS
(documentation?) but stuck to R studio and just did the post-processing
within QGIS. Having the ability to work properly within QGIS would maybe
boost the efficiency to a new level.

Am 02.05.2018, 07:57 Uhr, schrieb Howard Frederick <simbamangu at gmail.com>:

> Having an R console within QGIS would be incredibly useful! I've been
> copying and pasting between R and QGIS (keeping the WKT field >correctly
> formatted) using read.table, which works well, too. W.r.t. sp vs. sf,
> seems like sf is the future for R spatial objects? >Any thoughts on this?
>
> Crowdfunding definitely seems like the way forward - which platforms
> have been used for this kind of project in the past?
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 at 03:10, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 26 April 2018 at 22:10, Barry Rowlingson
>> <b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> As a long-time R spatial developer and QGIS user I'll be glad to help
>>> out -
>>> but time-poor at work for now. "Helping out" may be more  like "making
>>> unreasonable suggestions" and "finding annoying bugs".
>>
>> Don't undersell yourself... these would be very valuable contributions!
>>
>>> For example, can we find a more efficient way to transfer data from
>>> QGIS to
>>> R? Can the new `sf` packages in R work with the data straight out of
>>> QGIS'
>>> memory? I *think* the `sf` package stores vector data in GDALs native
>>> C++
>>> objects, and if QGIS is doing that too then we *might* be able to get
>>> access
>>> from QGIS and R if we write the R plugin as a C/C++ module that
>>> dynamically
>>> links with the shareable libR.so.
>>
>> I've (very roughly) looked into this, and I also believe it should be
>> possible to directly create R data frames from QGIS layers. Then we'd
>> just need to add a "R console" to QGIS, and boom! Awesome spatial
>> statistical analysis tool directly within QGIS!
>>
>> Nyall
>>

>>> The current R processing plugin  converts QGIS layers to shapefiles,
>>> reads
>>> them into a new R process. On occasion I've hit problems with shapefile
>>> limitations (field name length, usually) that make my scripts fail.
>>> Maybe it
>>> should go via geopackage instead.
>>>
>>> Should it create `sp` objects on the R side or `sf` objects? This
>>> could be
>>> controllable in the R processing script headers, so it can be set on a
>>> per-script basis.
>>>
>>> I'll stop now...
>>>
>>> Barry

Bernd Vogelgesang