[QGIS-Developer] Memory utilisation by Qgis

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 22:42:12 PST 2018

Hi

I have some questions about how Qgis engages with the memory management
system, specifically Linux.

I have had a few crashes on my computer where the software crashes where
it looks like some sort of memory limit has been reached.

On each time I have seen the software unexpectedly crash the computer's
physical memory was approximately three quarters used and there was no
swap being used.

This computer has 32 GB of RAM and 50 GB of swap. The disk that holds
the swap is an SSD with a / partition and a swap partition, whereas
/home is on a separate set of disks.

I see the swap being used all the time by other applications but I have
never seen a swap file being engaged when I am using Qgis, because it
always would crash or show some other apparent resource-limitation
behaviour before the physical memory was all used up and no swap was
being used.

Swap is used regularly by other apps on this computer, notably Gimp.