[QGIS-Developer] restricting layers to be added to legend to those turned on in the selected map theme

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 15:28:33 PDT 2018

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 04:15, <rjwillson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in QGIS 2.18 when you had selected for your layout to "follow visibility preset" and then went to "Add layer to legend" your list of layers would be restricted to the subset of layers that were turned on for the preset (now called map theme).
>
> This does not happen in Q3.2 or the latest Q developmental version where instead all of the layers in the project are listed.
>
> I love the new search dialogue built into the developmental version so that you can quickly search for your layer to add to the legend; however, it is still much quicker to add the relevant layers to your legend by restricting the layers shown in the selection dialogue to those turned on in the map theme selected to be followed (i.e., checkbox for follow map theme selected). Usually I have lots of layers in the project that are not turned on so it can be hard to remember what the layers are called later when I get around to creating the legend
>
> Possibly this change in behaviour was introduced by design or necessitated by some other limitation so may not even be possible to retain?

The change was intentional, as it allows layers to be added to a
legend when they aren't visible in the main canvas (e.g. due to the
canvas showing a different map theme, or having a layer for "legend
purposes only").

I'd suggest we could satisfy both use cases by adding a checkbox "only
show visible layers" to the bottom of this dialog. Do you agree?

Nyall