[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Server plugins and thread safety

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 19:00:10 PDT 2018

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 00:28, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Moreover The C API offers the opportunity to release the GIL (see for example numpy [1]).

For reference -- we do this also since QGIS 3.0. Every call to a QGIS
(c++) API releases the GIL and reacquires after the call. This means
it's possible to do multithreaded processes in PyQGIS using expensive
QGIS api calls, e.g. you could do a bunch of geometry intersections on
different threads without the GIL blocking other threads.

Nyall