[QGIS-Developer] Feature freeze / exemptions

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 09:21:29 PDT 2018

Hi all,
maybe from a voter point of view, this is uncomfortable to vote for last
minute exemptions, as this does not have such sense from a democratic
perspective.
Voting is essential on strategic issues, but voting on "do you want this
now, or within 4 months" may not appear so important - except if you funded
the feature yourself.

As a user, I'd really want the two mentioned features for the next LTR,
I've wanted them for so long. But in the other hand, I think we should
really not end into a systematic feature freeze exemption process.

I know QGIS is a do-ocraty, and we owe so much to our top contributors that
we can't refuse them anything, hum... professionally speaking I mean:-)

However having work still going on while in feature freeze does not help in
dedicating fully to bugfixing and testing.

Last point, some teams have been rescheduling hard and sometimes canceling
deserved vacations to respect feature freeze deadline. Just to be clear,
this doesn't concern Oslandia this time, but this happened in the past.
Seen from this perspective, I'd like we don't repeat this at every release.
Customer usually can wait for 4 months more.

Regards,
Régis