[QGIS-Developer] qgis2web and qtwebkit?

Tom Chadwin tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk
Mon Sep 17 01:24:10 PDT 2018

Hello all

Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote
> The proper solution is to port the plugin to QtWebEngine with Qt5.
> That's what Qt upstream recommends over QtWebKit.

The QtWebkit issue has caused problems with qgis2web many times:

https://github.com/tomchadwin/qgis2web/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+qtwebkit+

I've never done any work toward removing QtWebkit from qgis2web, for three
main reasons:

- as a Windows user, I don't fully understand the underlying issues (eg is
it QtWebkit itself or its Python bindings?)

- my belief was that QGIS itself depended on QtWebkit (possibly for HTML
support in labels or some such)

- QtWebEngine has lagged behind QtWebkit in functionality (I don't know if
that is still the case)

I guess my questions arising are:

- is the problem only with Qt4, and hence QGIS 2? If so, with 3.4 becoming
LTR next spring, my strong inclination is not to bother attempting to
migrate to WebEngine

- does QGIS core still use Webkit?

- are there any other reasons that migrating from Webkit is required under
Qt5?

Thanks for any pointers

Tom

-----
Buy Pie Spy: Adventures in British pastry 2010-11 on Amazon
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-f4099106.html