[QGIS-Developer] qgis2web and qtwebkit?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 15:37:01 PDT 2018

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 at 18:24, Tom Chadwin <tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk> wrote:

Some more answers:

> - my belief was that QGIS itself depended on QtWebkit (possibly for HTML
> support in labels or some such)

Correct. Layout HTML items, HTML annotations and Resource Widget with
integrated viewer all depend on QtWebkit, and will not be ported to
QtWebEngine for the foreseeable future. (It's just not possible --
QtWebEngine is missing required functionality.)

> - QtWebEngine has lagged behind QtWebkit in functionality (I don't know if
> that is still the case)

Very much so. QtWebEngine seems targeted at the simple use case of an
integrated web page viewer, vs QtWebkit which has a much more powerful
API. Specifically, the big blocker is that QtWebkit allows rendering
of webpages AS VECTORS onto a QPainter. Last I checked (maybe ~6
months ago) discussion at Qt channels was that this was
non-trivial/impossible to implement in QtWebEngine and was not being
actively worked on.

Nyall