[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-user] New Features in Shape Tools 3.2.0

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:49:08 PDT 2018

Nyall,

Thanks for your confidence and encouragement. I would be interested, but
don't know where to begin. Shape Tools relies on geographiclib which is
slightly more accurate than Vincinty. Geographlib is not a library that is
included with the OSGeo distribution. However, as of the past several years
Proj.4 makes use of geographiclib. I am guessing QGIS has not exposed any
of proj.4's geographiclib routines and I don't know how much of
geographiclib Proj.4 actually uses. Including geographiclib could open up
future opportunities of using some of the Earth's gravity models which are
even more accurate for measuring distances. Using the C++ geographiclib
libraries in the QGIS core would be faster than python only code.

For me to even begin, I need geographiclib as part of the QGIS core. If
there is a path to accomplish this, then we can discuss further details on
what and how to migrate Shape Tools functionality into core.

Calvin