[QGIS-Developer] Exporting from QGIS to CAD format - is it possible to offer DWG export

rjwillson at gmail.com rjwillson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 10:49:50 PDT 2018

Hi,

The CAD import and export functions for QGIS 3x are already extremely
impressive and in several ways exceed the import/export capability of ArcGIS
desktop 10.5/6.

As mentioned in a previous post the only function that the QGIS import can't
handle yet is when the CAD file (dwg or dxf) is not georeferenced
beforehand. For that scenario I regrettably have to go back to ArcGIS
desktop.

My question pertains to the export.

Is there a proprietary licensing reason that QGIS cannot export directly to
*.dwg file format rather than only to the dxf format?

I have a colleague that regularly espouses the view that QGIS is not up to
par when it comes to handling CAD files, as compared to ArcGIS desktop,
simply because of Q's inability to export directly to a dwg file format. Can
this capability be added?

Regards

Rob