[QGIS-Developer] Exporting from QGIS to CAD format - is it possible to offer DWG export

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Sep 26 05:23:08 PDT 2018

Hi Rob,

On Tue, 25. Sep 2018 at 13:49:50 -0400, rjwillson at gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a proprietary licensing reason that QGIS cannot export directly to
> *.dwg file format rather than only to the dxf format?

We could probably also use libdxfrw, that we use for our import, to write DWG.

But contentwise DXF and DWG are alike - and there's more software that can read
DXF than DWG.  Is using DXF not an option?  Do you require a certain
version of DWG (the format changed quite a bit, although the content
actually didn't that much).

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode