[QGIS-Developer] Python API for 3D

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 07:21:17 PDT 2018

Hi all

I have been thinking it would be good to finally have Python API also
for qgis_3d library. Until now I have kept the 3D library
intentionally without Python bindings so that it is possible to move
the code around without being blocked by the API stability
requirement.

I think for the time being we should still treat the 3D library as
having unstable API - so I wanted to check how others would feel about
having Python API for qgis_3d that would be marked as unstable, i.e.
there may be changes between 3.x releases? I think with big warnings
in the docs that the API may change we can get others to experiment
with 3D functionality while not offending anyone too much if we break
it later. The idea is that the API would get frozen at some point
later in 3.x release cycle or for QGIS 4.

Cheers
Martin