[QGIS-Developer] GDAL and microstation dgn v8 files... Teiga ?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Apr 3 05:11:45 PDT 2019

Hi Richard,

Interesting topic!

Just for the reference - I think about 3-4 years ago we discussed the
same thing: using Teigha for reading/writing dxf and dwg.

Back then, I was suggesting the exact same thing like you: using Teigha
- but due to the proprietary license and packaging issues, there was a
lot of opposition towards using Teigha. You have to be a member in the
OpenDesignAlliance and pay a membership fee for being able to
distribute/package the Teigha libraries.

We even did a crowd funding for dxf/dwg support back then:
http://blog.qgis.org/2015/12/08/crowd-funding-project-for-reading-cad-documents-in-qgis/

During that project it was decided to use the libdxfrw library instead
of Teigha. I believe that Jürgen forked and/or improved that library a
lot during the project.

Jürgen can tell you all the details about it.

Greetings,

Andreas