[QGIS-Developer] QGIS and GeoNode

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Apr 22 04:26:39 PDT 2019

Hi John

> On 22 Apr 2019, at 07:48, johnrobot <johnrobot at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
> I am looking for a solution for our QGIS users to easily publish data sets
> and web maps, either using a web based client or directly from QGIS. The
> QGIS/GeoNode integration looks interesting and I have a few questions:
>
> - Is support for QGIS Server backend enabled in the standard release of
> GeoNode?

I’ll need Rizky (in CC) to respond to this, but it hopefully yes.

> - Is it correct that the QGIS Server backend will render the cartography, as
> long as the server and the project file uses the same version (such as
> 3.4.5)?

We still need to migrate our work to 3.x so currently things are set up to work with QGIS 2.18.

> - The user creates a web map from the web client, not from QGIS by using a
> function like "Publish as web map using GeoNode", correct?

Correct.

> - Now that QGIS is getting better at 3D for each release, are there any
> plans on support for publishing 3D web maps using GeoNode?

We don’t have current plans for this, but are always open to look at it if there is funding….

> - Are there any public installations of GeoNode with QGIS Server backend?

https://geonode.ingc.gov.mz <https://geonode.ingc.gov.mz/> is one we set up.

If you like docker and rancher, we have a Rancher Catalogue recipe where you can fairly easily spin up your own instance to test it:

https://github.com/kartoza/kartoza-rancher-catalogue <https://github.com/kartoza/kartoza-rancher-catalogue>
https://github.com/kartoza/kartoza-rancher-catalogue/blob/master/templates/geonode/README.md <https://github.com/kartoza/kartoza-rancher-catalogue/blob/master/templates/geonode/README.md>

The GeoNode is not the most recent there but it should give you the idea.

Regards

Tim

> Regards,
>
> Magnus