[QGIS-Developer] Embedded py libs in plugis

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Apr 30 10:33:21 PDT 2019

On 29/04/2019 20.49, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all,
> until now we discouraged the inclusion of external python libraries in
> python plugins. I still think this is the right, clean approach. I just
> want to check with main core devs if there are strong reasons to change
> the approach.

I think the only reason to discourage the inclusion (IF we did, I'm not
sure) is that some modules are not cross platform (but most smaller ones
are) or are just too big to include.
Some (eg Requests) made live really easier (though we have alternatives
I think). And others were just needed but not appropriate to bundle with
QGIS.

So I would think it is ok to include them as long it is practical.

We also have been talking about some mechanisme to make it possible to
(pip)-install from within QGIS, some kind of virtual environment within
QGIS.
But that is to be done.... :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde