[QGIS-Developer] Embedded py libs in plugis

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Apr 30 23:48:14 PDT 2019

Hi all,

On 30/04/19 19:33, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> I think the only reason to discourage the inclusion (IF we did, I'm not
> sure) is that some modules are not cross platform (but most smaller ones
> are) or are just too big to include.
> Some (eg Requests) made live really easier (though we have alternatives
> I think). And others were just needed but not appropriate to bundle with
> QGIS.
>
> So I would think it is ok to include them as long it is practical.

having inspected hundreds of plugins in the last years, I'm still unsure
this is a good approach. I think it induces bad habits (e.g. one plugin
had a modified gdal command, so these improvements were essentially
lost). For the very same reasons, this practice is formally forbidden
e.g. in Debian. I'm aware this puts some extra strain on developers and
users, but results in better software in the long term.

> We also have been talking about some mechanisme to make it possible to
> (pip)-install from within QGIS, some kind of virtual environment within
> QGIS.
> But that is to be done.... :-)

this seems quite right to me.

Cheers, and thanks for comments.