[QGIS-Developer] Some thought on LTR

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 07:17:20 PDT 2019

Hi Nyall,

> I'm not saying that we DON'T have some bad regressions which slip in
> occasionally to the LTR (the recent db manager regression discussion
> comes to mind), but I honestly don't think there's a bigger problem
> here. Everything listed here (GRASS provider, PostGIS rasters, db
> manager edge cases) have always had a shaky past in QGIS, and
> regressions to them are (and ALWAYS have been) common. So I don't
> think the issue lies in the LTR or the handling of it, rather the
> issue lies in the code and lack of stability in these parts of QGIS.
> (Mathieu - might be time for your thread on one of these points...
> hint hint!)

just to dissolve doubts: the work and efforts in bug fixing (LTR and not
LTR) is awesome. Kudos to QGIS and every one that provides financial
support on this and kudos to all the devs.

Let me just try to explain it better.

>From an user point of view having tons of new feature every 4 months is
incredible: it makes the user happy, more curious and conscious that the
QGIS community is very active.

>From another user point of view having some daily tools broken in the
LTR release makes me think on the global efforts in the QGIS community:
I have then to downgrade to another version or wait for the fix (even if
users should not wait but be part of the community, but that's another
thing). And maybe as user I would prefer to have the "same" tools but in
a safer way (software cannot be bugless of course.

Of course bugfixing is not fun for nobody and making new stuff is 10000
times better.

So just to be even more clear: I don't have a proposal (ping @Tim ;) )
and I think the bug situation is not bad at all (regression or not
regression) and really think the efforts and work behind the scenes is
incredible.

Just my 2 cents (after an unlucky workflow where I hit different bugs).

Cheers and thanks

Matteo