[QGIS-Developer] Some thought on LTR

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 15:26:10 PDT 2019

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 00:17, matteo <matteo.ghetta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nyall,
>
> > I'm not saying that we DON'T have some bad regressions which slip in
> > occasionally to the LTR (the recent db manager regression discussion
> > comes to mind), but I honestly don't think there's a bigger problem
> > here. Everything listed here (GRASS provider, PostGIS rasters, db
> > manager edge cases) have always had a shaky past in QGIS, and
> > regressions to them are (and ALWAYS have been) common. So I don't
> > think the issue lies in the LTR or the handling of it, rather the
> > issue lies in the code and lack of stability in these parts of QGIS.
> > (Mathieu - might be time for your thread on one of these points...
> > hint hint!)
>
> just to dissolve doubts: the work and efforts in bug fixing (LTR and not
> LTR) is awesome. Kudos to QGIS and every one that provides financial
> support on this and kudos to all the devs.
>
> Let me just try to explain it better.
>
> From an user point of view having tons of new feature every 4 months is
> incredible: it makes the user happy, more curious and conscious that the
> QGIS community is very active.
>
> From another user point of view having some daily tools broken in the
> LTR release makes me think on the global efforts in the QGIS community:
> I have then to downgrade to another version or wait for the fix (even if
> users should not wait but be part of the community, but that's another
> thing). And maybe as user I would prefer to have the "same" tools but in
> a safer way (software cannot be bugless of course.

Right -- but again, I see no concrete issues here. We have one issue
which isn't a regression (postgis rasters) and is instead a feature
request, and one regression which was caused by an important fix
(broken grass for Windows non-English users), not a feature! (And one
unknown issue cos you pasted the wrong link ;)

Also - just to point out - Alessandro implemented the feature request
overnight. Big kudos to him -- we finally have a stable way of using
PostGIS rasters in QGIS.*

Nyall

* Ironically enough, this is a feature.