[QGIS-Developer] On github, gitlab, and imperialist nations screwing us all over...

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Aug 6 13:42:04 PDT 2019

Hi

> On 2 Aug 2019, at 05:45, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
> I'm often unhappy when I'm right.

In which particular aspect are you right?

> Although the practical impact this time is low, I would take this as a clear signal (after the loomio move, and I expect more) that we have to change our strategy,
> keeping our infrastructure as simple as possible and avoiding wherever possible to rely on proprietary, non free, stuff.

Loomio is FOSS and we benefited from free hosting. We could have hosted it ourselves but we chose to not divert our minimal free time to managing more infrastructure. I think it is normal in life that things change and we need to adapt as they do, really it isn’t a train smash IMHO.

GitHub impact is more conceptual than actual as has been shown in this thread. So sure, lets have a plan B in place, that was always the long game plan for our code etc. But lets do take our time and do it right and in a considered way. We reached agreement in A Coruna to use GitHub for issue tracking and I don’t think it is constructive to turn around a few months later and try to roll back on what has been years of painful and protracted community negotiations and planning to get to where we are now.  IMHO moving to GitHub issues has been a great improvement for the project - and thanks again especially to Jorge and friends who did all the heavy lifting!

Regards

Tim

—

Tim Sutton