[QGIS-Developer] GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 11 Report

Ismail Sunni imajimatika at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 10:56:08 PDT 2019

Hi Nyall,

Thanks for the reply!

More and more your work is revealing that we'll eventually need to
> tackle this issue head on, and implement proper opacity support in the
> 3d renderer. Everything else is going to be just a hack which won't
> work in all circumstances. I'd suggest not spending much more time on
> this issue given this (current) inherent limitation.

Sure.

I looked over your branch, and it seems the issue is in saving and
> restoring the symbol, not the retrieval of the symbol from the button.
> Is that correct?

The billboard changes IF the previous billboard is not a symbol. But IF the
previous billboard is a symbol, and I changed the symbol's properties (e.g.
color, rotation, shape) the billboard stays the same.

In my latest code (pushed by now), I set the billboard to use an external
image (the success-kid.png) if the symbol's color is white (for debugging
purpose).

If I set the symbol to white, the billboard uses the success-kid as the
billboard (no matter what is the previous billboard as expected).
If the previous symbol is the* success-kid, *then I changed the symbol's
properties it will change as expected.
If the previous symbol is not the *success-kid*, then I changed the
symbol's properties,  it won't change the billboard.

When I close QGIS and reopen it, the billboard will show as expected. So, I
think it's not an issue in saving and restoring the symbol.

Previously, I thought the problem is the changed signal from the button or
the saving and restoring, but it seems it is something else.

Best regards.

--
Ismail Sunni
ismailsunni.wordpress.com