[QGIS-Developer] Issue priorization for bugfixing: go flag your favorite issues

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 02:24:07 PDT 2019

Hi Nyall,

Putting aside the rest of the conversation regarding regressions for
> now, something I'd like to see clarified is what exactly classifies as
> a regression?

in my mind, a regression is some functionality that worked and does not
work anymore. It also does not have an acceptable workaround (or
alternative path to achieve the same result)

- clicking the browse button in the file attachment widgets crashes
> qgis: regression

clearly a regression, and it does not matter that is an upstream problem.
We knew about it for about a year and only took action (removing the
button!) only now.
This particular regression should have been handled much more gracefully
than we did.

> - a project which depends on postgres foreign data wrappers to
> evaluate a default field value by performing an aggregate on a related
> layer from the current project breaking in a future release: not a
> regression

clear example of something that likely is not used by many, unlike the
previous example, so something that can be discussed if is urgent to fix or
even a won't fix.

In the real of "technically not a regression, but pretty bad one" I could
make a recent  example:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/31251

which is clearly something that was overlooked when re-writing/re-designing
that edit tools

-- G --