[QGIS-Developer] Issue priorization for bugfixing: go flag your favorite issues

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Sat Aug 24 04:50:30 PDT 2019

Hi

On 8/24/19 10:39 AM, Giovanni Manghi wrote:
> Thanks Matthias, thanks for this, as of course it *is* the eright
> thing to do,
>
> I only hope that next time this will be at least announced a little
> bit more in advance other than a Saturday morning, during August, at
> the start of the dev meeting.
>
> I did in the past several "priority lists" and it takes a while to
> decide, togther with you developers, what is worth prioritizing and
> what not.

Please continue this list. I see the two things as complementary and
wouldn't want to sacrifice one for the other! I even think that if the
thumbs up work nicely you can take it as input for your list too.

> Speaking  about that, and just to clear air about a thread on a
> similar subject in the PSC list:
>
> There is no "paranoia" (I kindly ask stop using this word around this
> matter) about/around regressions. Regressions *always break someone
> workflow*, and it is not about you or me to decide if not fixing them
> (who are me/you to decide that someone else workflow is not
> important?). They should be always fixed, at least in our LTR release
> (and also thanks to Sandro Santilli for basically saying the same thing).
>
> As someone else said is not true that a "bug is a bug": while
> certainly there are issues that is not easy to classify if they impact
> a lot or not, the vast majoity is easy to to say if they are important
> or not. Do not confound the fact that maybe a ticket do not gets much
> attention or comments: just a few people actually do that (file
> tickets, comment), part of them were also educated to have faith and
> expect fixes (of important issues) at least in the upcoming LTR
> releases, sometimes just to wait in vain (just because the the paid
> bug fixing effort do not comes with any sort of priority list).

Can we move this discussion to a different thread?

I fear this does not help to bring the discussion here forward.

> have fun there

Are you not coming?

Thanks anyway, we'll send some pictures :)

Matthias