[QGIS-Developer] Issue priorization for bugfixing: go flag your favorite issues

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Aug 24 02:37:02 PDT 2019

Hi Matthias,

On 24/08/19 10:06, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

> I think this is mainly a point of communication.
>
> If explained well as an "indication" and not as a "guarantee" - online
> and live while teaching - I think we'll get the message out.

agreed, but I'm still unsure we'll be able to convey the right message.
I have see social networks taking strange directions easily, regardless
of the efforts by the transmitter. Of coourse, GH has already a bit of a
barrier for casual users, so we might be sheltered.

> It's an interesting idea, but I am afraid we'll put the project in a bad
> position. In particular, it brings the project into a situation where it
> acts as a service provider proxy,

agreed, this is a real issue

> where it's easy to interpret the
> project as the one to take responsibility for those bugs being fixed
> (just like you wrote above "why the hell has issue X not been solved
> yet", but with money involved this time), and last, it's hard to come up
> with a good process (should there be estimates first? or money first and
> when there's enough someone picks the issue?).

again, it's a matter of communication ;)
I don't think we should expect for the users to pay fully for the fix,
but rather use the money donated as an honest indication of interest,
more reliable than a cheap click.
this approach wouold also alleviate or solve the previous point.

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: