[QGIS-Developer] how compatible .qml files are ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Aug 29 01:43:55 PDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 08:41:03AM +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 02:44, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> > On 28/08/19 17:43, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > > I just filed https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/31471 after finding
>
> All this old 1.x
> compatiblity code was dropped in the 2 -> 3 migration, with the

Ouch, destructive move.

> recommendation being that users who need to open a 1.x project first
> load and resave it in 2.18.

Will try that. Then I guess I'll have to update DBManager templates
in all supported branches: 3.4, 3.8, master -- correct ?

> I don't think it's worth the effort of automating a transition to be
> honest. This situation occurs so infrequently (once in the past 10
> years) that it's unlikely to pay off. If you want to ensure the style
> is future proof, then I'd suggest building it dynamically when
> required, and doing it in c++. Then it's effectively guaranteed to
> keep working and if anyone changes API, they'll need to fix your code
> in order to build....

So not even python is API safe ?
Remember we're talking about a core plugin here.

Do you have examples of building style dynamically ?

--strk;

  /\   https://strk.kbt.io/services.html