[QGIS-Developer] how compatible .qml files are ?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Aug 29 02:39:23 PDT 2019

On 8/29/19 10:43 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>> recommendation being that users who need to open a 1.x project first
>> load and resave it in 2.18.
> Will try that. Then I guess I'll have to update DBManager templates
> in all supported branches: 3.4, 3.8, master -- correct ?

You can do it on master only and add backport labels which will trigger
the backports if there are no conflicts.

>> I don't think it's worth the effort of automating a transition to be
>> honest. This situation occurs so infrequently (once in the past 10
>> years) that it's unlikely to pay off. If you want to ensure the style
>> is future proof, then I'd suggest building it dynamically when
>> required, and doing it in c++. Then it's effectively guaranteed to
>> keep working and if anyone changes API, they'll need to fix your code
>> in order to build....
> So not even python is API safe ?

It is stable throughout version 3.

Longer term, with C++ it's more likely that breaks are noticed just in
time, because the compiler is quite good at detecting incompatible api
changes.

> Do you have examples of building style dynamically ?

Something like this
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/tests/src/python/test_qgscategorizedsymbolrenderer.py
?

Matthias