[QGIS-Developer] Processing: questions on temporary files

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Dec 5 22:44:46 PST 2019

Hi

On 12/6/19 12:19 AM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 17:35, Alexander Bruy <alexander.bruy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is a FlatGeoBuf [0], probably we can use it or at least get some ideas.
>>
>> [0] https://github.com/bjornharrtell/flatgeobuf
> FlatGeoBuf indeed looks very exciting!
>
> But to be honest, I think an easier path would be just to directly
> serialize the qgis features to disk -- we already have
> QgsFeature::operator<< and >> to read and write features to data
> streams (without loss of any information), so we could utilise those
> during the disk read/write.

Yes, FlatGeoBuf looks nice!

Meanwhile, why not use a well known spatial data file format?

I think rolling serialized QgsFeatures has some gotchas too, like
writing spatial indexes, getting the file headers right and possibly
introducing yet another file format.

Obligatory XKCD https://i.redd.it/ji9zzqc919b21.png

Matthias