[QGIS-Developer] New (small) feature Point Displacement Label distance (factor)

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 14:33:38 PST 2019

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 00:53, Henrik Spångmyr
<henrik.spangmyr at midvatten.se> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I've used the great Point Displacement symbology, but found the hard coded label distance to be too limiting. So I've adjusted the Point Displacement tool by adding a spinbox to allow the user to adjust the distance. I've attached a screenshot of the feature at the bottom of the mail.
>
> The issue have been reported before, and one suggested solution is to replace the current labeling with qgis standard labeling dialog, something these adjustments do not do. (https://issues.qgis.org/issues/5945)
>
> If no one suggests otherwise, I'm planning to make a pull request for this adjustment soon.

Great! Sounds like a handy addition to this feature.

> Also, I could not find out who the current "technical advisor" is whom I should contact about this. Is there someone I should contact before I make the pull request?

That information is quite outdated, and really pre-dates the modern
QGIS development process. There are some areas of code which some devs
know better than others, but that's sorted out AFTER creation of the
pull request. (A PR fixing up the developer docs to remove this
outdated info would be nice to see!)

> As I'm a new developer (both c++ and the QGIS code was new to me) i've followed the great guides:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/.github/CONTRIBUTING.md
> and
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qgis/QGIS/master/INSTALL
>
> There is no change to the current master unit test run after my adjustments and the feature works as I expect it too.

So the next step is to open the PR and make your changes public, and
let the code review team take it from there...

Nyall