[QGIS-Developer] Announcing our SLYR (MXD to QGIS) funding drive

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:58:29 PST 2019

Hi lists,

This is a quick announcement of North Road's latest funding drive,
which is targeted at development of an automated ESRI ArcGIS "LYR" and
"MXD" to QGIS conversion tool.

Yes, you read that correctly... a completely automated tool to allow
opening ESRI LYR files (including original symbology!) and MXD
documents within QGIS! We're aiming for a deep integration here, so
that end users will be able to interact with these file types via drag
and drop, browser integration, etc.

You can read the full campaign details and see some mockups here:
https://north-road.com/2019/02/04/announcing-our-slyr-funding-drive/

If you're aware of any organisations out there who have been
investigating a move to open source GIS, but are held back by the need
to access existing ArcGIS LYR/MXD documents, please make them aware of
this tool and the campaign.

Regards,
Nyall
North Road