[QGIS-Developer] Find unmaintained plugins

Thomas Baumann rdbath.regiodata at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 08:06:52 PST 2019

Hi,
I can understand concerns about not wanting to discourage maintainers.

But at the same time you have to see that buggy unmaintained plugins can
cause a lot of frustration to users.
I have made the experience that problems caused by such plugins are also
actually very bad for the reputation of qgis.
(Because most of the users (and the deciders in a company) won't
differentiate between qgis "core" and the plugins which are distributed
over the official(!) repository. From their point of view qgis is just
buggy.)

I think it's just fair to inform the user if a plugin is still maintained
or not and to be honest I don't quite understand why it should be too hard
to click on a confirmation-link once a year to prove that you still
maintain a plugin.

If the maintainer does not want to respond or does not find the time to
click the link than I guess it just reflects the fact that the plugin isn't
maintained by this person anymore.

For qgis 2.18 there were more than 800 plugins in the official repository
and I guess that in some years there could be even more plugins available
for qgis 3.

I think it will be hard to keep qgis3 stable and performant if buggy
unmaintained plugins won't be sorted out or at least marked as unmaintained.

Regards,
Thomas

Am Mo., 4. Feb. 2019, 15:25 hat Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> geschrieben: