[QGIS-Developer] Windows only version of a QGIS 2.18x plugin

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:50:00 PST 2019

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 12:04 PM Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> On 06/02/19 09:42, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>
> > If you prefer to put it in QGIS repo: just add a big note in the
> > metadata.txt description that this plugin is only usable with vesper and
> > windows. And maybe do an OS check in the __init__ for illiterate users ;-)
>
> I respectfully disagree with that: at the very core of the QGIS project
> it stands the idea of letting everybody use the best possible GIS,
> without discrimination. This kind of approach would in fact favour
> Windows users.

My preference would be to keep the official QGIS plugin repo more open
and allow plugins that do not support all QGIS platforms. Often there
are useful tools that are only available for one platform and plugin
author does not have power to change that. But we should not make life
of users on the supported platform more complicated just because other
platforms cannot be supported.

As it was suggested already, if there would be a larger amount of
plugins that are not multi-platform, we could have a piece of metadata
so that users on other platforms could be warned.

For example, Crayfish plugin for QGIS 2.x did not support macOS - it
was a known limitation and it would be sad if the plugin would be
rejected from the official QGIS plugin repo just because of that.

Cheers
Martin