[QGIS-Developer] Windows only version of a QGIS 2.18x plugin

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 08:01:44 PST 2019

I have been following this interesting discussion and thought I would make
a couple of comments. I understand the different views people have. Ideally
it would be nice for all plugins to work on all platforms, but I can see
the benefit from certain plugins accessing external libraries that are not
available on all platforms. I have considered doing this myself in
accessing some of the excellent astronomical packages on Windows, but have
been concerned that I could no post the plugin in the official repo. Yes
you can set up a separate repo, but it makes it very difficult for the
plugin to be found and it would not be worth it to me to put in the effort
to have it not be officially recognized and be discoverable.

I personally think it is important that there be some mechanism for people
to publish plugins that have platform dependencies. Ideally, they would
first try to find alternative solutions before making the decision to link
to platform specific resources, but some very important capabilities will
require this. I wouldn't want to discourage developers by insisting that
all plugins must work on all platforms.

I am not sure that having two separate repositories is the best approach
either. I don't think that a separate repo should be classified as 'dirty',
etc. I would think that this could be addressed by the metadata associated
with the plugin.

Calvin