[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Request for Change of UserAgent

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sun Feb 24 15:03:22 PST 2019

This makes sense, but thinking about it, it doesn't seem plausible.

If I were whitelisting user agents, there are three ways I'd consider
doing it.

Explicit full string:
* "Mozilla/5.0 QGIS/3.4.3-Madeira" - except of course that'd break next
time someone updates QGIS by even a point version. So I doubt anyone is
doing that; too much maintenance. And if they *are* doing this, well
then they'll have to update their whitelist with the new user agent on
the new release whether it includes "Mozilla" or not.

* Some sort of regexp looking for that structure (i.e. "Mozilla/5.0
QGIS/[0-9].[0-9]...") but allow any set of numbers. I can't conceive of
when this would be the best option or even a "good" option - it's just
asking for problems with version numbers (what happens when QGIS gets to
double-digits in any version field for instance?). I don't doubt it may
solve a particular problem somewhere maybe, but I would hope there
wouldn't be many using this method (and of course, this is assuming that
the "Mozilla" is part of the regex).

* Search the user agent for the string "QGIS". I do some things that
look at user-agents and this is what I do. It's easily the simplest and
definitely the most fool-proof way to validate a client is at least
claiming to be QGIS.

So I'd suggest this is probably not something to worry about.
Cheers,
Jonathan