[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Request for Change of UserAgent

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:44:53 PST 2019

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 at 04:38, Jonathan Moules
<jonathan-lists at lightpear.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I don't think without more information it's clear precisely what QGIS
> should change to help them?
>
> Indeed, personally I'm still not sure what the current problem is for
> them. I get that they have some over-users of their service and need to
> curtail this (a very tricky problem), but what's their current solution
> and how does a user-agent change help it?
>
> I'd suggest against QGIS using different user-agents for destinations as
> was suggested earlier in the thread because down that road lies madness
> (it's a highly opaque thing that /will/ bite people as they try and
> debug issues).

My main concern is possible regressions if we flip to a
"less-standard" user agent. It's highly likely that there's servers
out there which block requests based on user agent whitelists, so by
changing the user agent across the whole app we'd potentially be
blocking access to these servers.

Nyall