[QGIS-Developer] QGS UTM <==> WGS84 Formatted String Conversion

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 13:55:25 PST 2019

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 01:39, C Hamilton <adenaculture at gmail.com> wrote:

> I there an API call in QGIS that will take a UTM formatted string (ie 11N 345567 432145) and convert it to a lat and lon as well as going the other direction? It certainly supports the UTM projections but I don't see this conversion. There are python libraries have have this in them.
>
> The reason I ask is that there is interest in this being a part of Lat Lon Tools and I would like to find the easiest way to do this.

Not that I'm aware of. I think you'd best be served by using a regex
to parse the particular input string you want and extract the zone,
easting and northing, and then setup a QgsCoordinateTransform to
convert from the detected UTM zone to WGS84. Should be ~5-10 lines of
code to do, without needing any additional Python libraries.

Nyall